Case study 2: Living close to wind energy
- The placement of it in a rural area is resented given the energy is perceived as being needed in urban areas.
- Wind turbines are sometimes viewed as ugly and leading to the spoiling of a view.
- Some are concerned that the wind farm may lead to damage for the tourist industry nearby.
- Some reject wind energy based on concerns for the environment (e.g. impacts on landscapes, birds and other flora and fauna).
- Others perceived that big developers and corporations are parrachuting into the area and imposing something upon them.
- And some do not object the proposed development per se, but may feel excluded or marginalised through not being engaged or excluded from the development process.
- The risks are still perceived as being localised whilst the benefits (e.g. helping with climate change) are more dispersed.
- Many offshore wind farms are actually nearshore and are thus in view of many people. Furthermore, marine environments are structureless environments, and so for some people, the turbines are more noticeable.
- Some people are concerned about the environmental and ecological impact on both birds and marine flora and fauna.
- Given that many coastal areas are tourist destinations, some people are highly concerned that the tourist industry might be negatively impacted.
- And some people feel that they are excluded and marginalised during the process by which the development is introduced to the community.
Tackling Environmental Challenges for a Sustainable Future
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.