There are plenty of valuable online resources for you to enhance your data science skills. You might consider further online courses or other learning opportunities. It might be helpful for you to join a support network or online community to share relevant experiences and advice with other educators. We also recommend a few research papers for you to check out below. Please post links to other resources you find useful, in the discussion section on this page.
Here is a selection of online courses in data science. We have only covered the basics in this short course. If you want to dive deeper into data science, then some of these courses might be useful. If you have signed up for other online data science MOOCs, please feel free to leave your reviews and feedback in our comments section below.
- What is Data Science from The Data Lab: an hour long intro to data science aimed at young people.
- Data Science for Ecologists and Environmental Scientists: free self-paced online course using the R language, with a focus on environmental data.
- Data Science in the Gaming Industry from the University of Dundee: free MOOC in the gaming domain, potentially with a high appeal to teenage learners.
- Online Masters in Data Analytics from the University of Glasgow: world-leading training in data science skills, although this is a high-commitment, expensive degree programme
- Data Science in Colleges from the College Development Network: introducing data science and data activities for Further Education college educators.
In the UK, there is a strong grassroots community of Computing teachers. While this community is not focused specifically on data science, it might be a good starting point for you to discuss ideas and issues with other education professionals who have relevant experiences.
The Data Lab has a great collection of resources for educators, seeking to introduce data activities in their learning contexts. Check out The Data Lab Data Science for Schools site for details.
The UK National Centre for Computing Education aims to provide Computing teachers with resources and training. Some of their material is directly relevant to data science.
Research interest in data science education is growing at a rapid rate. This relatively new topic is highly relevant to both academia and industry. Here are a couple of papers you might like to scan through, maybe following up some of their ideas in more detail.
- Data Science Education: Global Perspectives and Convergence
- Big data and data science: what should we teach?
© University of Glasgow