Topics in the course
In this course, we will cover the following content:
- The international success of Asian education systems in primary mathematics teaching.
- Concrete examples of Chinese classroom practices.
- Modelling concrete tasks using established principles from Singapore teaching methods, including Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approaches and the Bar Model method.
- Modelling concrete tasks using an established principle from Shanghai: teaching with Variation
- Integrating these tasks into your own classroom practices.
The learning objectives are based on the above content coverage. They are to:
- Provide an overview of the key features of Asian classrooms and maths pedagogies.
- Understand established principles with a range of examples and practices from Singapore teaching methods, including the Concrete-Pictorial-Abstract approach and the Bar Model method.
- Understand another Asian principle, Shanghai’s teaching with Variation.
- Put these principles into practice with a range of exercises and tasks, reflecting on how you can use them in your classroom.
© 2018 University of Southampton