Review of what’s been covered
This is an additional video, hosted on YouTube.
ResourcesSee below for a list of relevant resources used in this Week. We’ll provide a comprehensive list of all resources and further reading which can be downloaded at the end of the course.
BooksAm I Depressed And What Can I Do About It? by Reynolds, S. & Parkinson, M. (2015). A CBT self-help guide for teenagers experiencing low mood and depression. Teenage Depression: A CBT Guide For Parents by Parkinson, M. & Reynolds, S. (2015). Help your child beat their low mood. An indispensable guide for parents of a depressed teenager. Parent-Led CBT for Child Anxiety Helping Parents Help Their Kids Creswell,C., Parkinson, M., Thirlwall, K., Willetts, L. (2016). This innovative, research-based book shows clinicians how to teach parents cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) techniques to use with their 5- to 12-year-old.
- Samaritans: 116 123 Free confidential 24-hour helpline.
- Befrienders Worldwide. Befrienders is a worldwide charity which provides information about mental health difficulties and offers emotional support through helplines.
- YoungMinds Offers information and support around mental health difficulties to young people and their parent.
- Harmless A user led organisation that provides a range of services about self harm including support, information, training and consultancy to people who self harm, their friends and families and professionals.
- NICE The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) provides national guidance and advice to improve health and social care.
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists. The Royal College of Psychiatrists website offers information for anyone who wants to know more about mental health.
- The Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health The Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health is a registered charity which promotes the advancement of child & adolescent mental health. The charity aims to raise standards in the understanding and management of child mental health issues. They also run a variety of conferences, training events, special interest groups and master classes to aid the professional development of all those working to support the mental health of children and young people.
- International Association for Suicide Prevention provides suicide prevention resources, guides and information.
- Suicide.org is a suicide prevention, awareness and support website.
- The mysterious workings of the adolescent brain. Why do teenagers seem so much more impulsive, so much less self-aware than grown-ups? Cognitive neuroscientist Sarah-Jayne Blakemore compares the prefrontal cortex in adolescents to that of adults, to show us how typically “teenage” behaviour is caused by the growing and developing brain.
- Facing Shadows. In April 2015, seven young people who had been to a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for help with their depression came together, with the aim of making a short, animated film about what it is like to suffer from depression as a teenager.
- Depression and low mood. Visit HealthTalk.org to find out about the experience of depression and low mood in young people by seeing and hearing young people share their personal stories on film.
- Journey through the shadows. This short film describes the experience of three parents whose children were referred to a Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for help with their depression.
Understanding Depression and Low Mood in Young People
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.