General features of Asian maths pedagogy
- Usually start with mathematics questions, often contextualized or stimulating, to motivate students.
- Adopt whole-class teaching, supplemented with small group or individual learning activities.
- In a mathematical sense, emphasise the ‘Two Basics’ (basic knowledge and basic skills) and thorough understanding (mastery) of concepts.
- Emphasise the development of students’ high-order thinking, in particular through open-ended problems and application (real-life) problems.
- Emphasise teacher-student interaction and students’ academic engagement.
- Adopt teaching with variation (both conceptual and procedural).
- Assign daily homework for formative assessment and reinforcement purposes.
- Provide timely feedback and remediation to students in need.
- Provide a summary of what was learned at the end of a lesson.
- Deliver lesson with clear structure and coherence.
- Heavily rely on textbooks and other teaching and learning resources.
World Class Maths: Asian Teaching Methods
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.