Why join the course?
When it comes to teaching in the classroom one size does not fit all. This free online course - designed for STEM teachers in primary and secondary schools, and sixth form and further education colleges - will help you improve your understanding and use of differentiating for learning within science, technology, engineering and maths subjects.
Understand Differentiating for Learning in theory and practice
Through this course you will:
- see extensive real-life classroom video footage;
- examine the key principles of effective differentiated learning;
- focus on differentiating by task using examples from the STEM subjects;
- get a range of practical ideas for how you can best respond to the assessment evidence elicited from your students;
- and explore the links between Differentiating for Learning and Assessment for Learning.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Key principles of Differentiating for Learning
- Key Principle Number 1 - Everyone can develop knowledge, understanding and skills
- Key Principle Number 2 - All students need to be challenged in their thinking in order to learn
- Key Principle Number 3 - All learners in the classroom need to be motivated to learn
Week 2: Importance of diagnosing current levels of understanding
- How do Assessment for Learning and Differentiating for Learning link
- Assessing understanding
- Modelled diagnostic activities
Week 3: Differentiating for Learning by Task - Part 1
- Different ways of differentiating the learning
- Enabling students to access the learning
- Differentiating for Learning by Task - pyramids of learning
- Differentiating for Learning by Task - quadrants
Week 4: Differentiating for Learning by Task - Part 2
- Enabling students to access the learning through scaffolding
- Differentiating for Learning by Task - thinking organisers and help desks
Week 5: Evaluating practice and next steps
- Reflecting on learning
- Linking back to key principles
When would you like to start?
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for English-speaking teachers of STEM subjects in primary and secondary schools, and sixth form and FE colleges. It’s also relevant to trainee teachers, teacher trainers, those thinking about a career in STEM teaching and developers of STEM-related course materials.
It is a continuing professional development (CPD) course for people who, in the main, have a degree level qualification, or who are in the process of obtaining one.
Who will you learn with?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMDifferentiating to talk about this course on social media.