Unfortunate news makes this MOOC important
Shanghai Daily tells the 8th of January 2016 that «11 died in coal mine accident” Rescue workers carry a body from a coal mine in northwest China’s Shaanxi Province. Eleven miners died in Wednesday’s accident at the Shenmu facility, but 38 of their colleagues managed to escape to the surface.
© University of Bergen Bente Elisabeth Moen: -My wish is that this MOOC can be an inspiration for better health and safety at all work places, and that the course can contribute to reducing the occurrence of mine accidents like this.
BBC News reports January 8, 2016; “Where many of our electronic goods go to die” Every year hundreds of thousands of tonnes of electronic waste find their way to Ghana from Europe and North America, where they are stripped of their valuable metals in the crudest form of recycling. Experts warn the toxic agents present in the waste such as mercury, lead, cadmium and arsenic are slowing poisoning the workers, as well as spreading pollution into the soil and atmosphere.
© University of Bergen Magne Bråtveit: -Our course has focused on occupational exposures in traditional industries in developing countries. This knowledge will make you prepared to look out for occupational risks in newer sectors like the recycling industry.
Myanmar Times reports January 25th 2016; “Three killed in construction site accident” This is only one of many examples of accidents happening on workplaces with gruesome outcomes due to lack of safety at the workplace. Many workers worldwide perform their work daily at unsafe workplaces, where proper risk assessment is lacking. This is not only dangerous for the workers, but also for the public.
© University of Bergen Ole Jacob Møllerløkken -I hope that you in this course have learned about dangerous physical factors that may be encountered at workplaces and how it is possible to achieve a safe workplace in spite of different risk factors for health.
“UK tea brands drop Indian supplier over work conditions”, January 14th 2016
Three of the UK’s top tea brands have stopped buying from a group of Indian plantations after a BBC investigation exposed dangerous working conditions. Workers at the company’s Hajua estate were seen spraying agrochemicals without the protective equipment employers are required to provide, when the BBC visited. Men spraying reported breathing difficulties, numbness of the hands and face, a burning sensation on the skin and profound loss of appetite.
© University of Bergen Gro Tjalvin: -Having a job make people feel useful, and promote health. Unfortunately, several kinds of work pose a risk for worker health, and workers sometimes develop diseases due to their work. Health personnel should be educated to recognize work-related diseases, and be able to suggest preventive measures. This is where I hope this course will make a major contribution. Because, - no one should be harmed at work!