What value can the data on social media provide?
Here are some additional examples of the value of social media data to companies:
- The feedback gained from customers is invaluable; now there is less emphasis on going out and trying to elicit feedback from users – they already do it passively in conversations on social media and businesses can observe these happening and receive invaluable insight on the performance of their organisation.
- With this data, a business can track and measure communities online: the size of their audience, the frequency by which people interact with them, or relating to them etc., and the general opinion that the online community holds of them.
- This also allows them to see how information they release propagates through the network, as when each of their supports interacts with it, there is the potential for that user’s friends and contacts to become aware of the message. For marketing, this is ideal for helping a message spread virally.
- Combining these points, a marketer can see who the influential supporters in their network are, which can be invaluable when ‘seeding’ (sending out the first instances of a message) the campaign to the public, as these will be the users who share the content and interact with it frequently, creating the exposure a brand desires.
- With all this data, complex models about how campaigns spread can be developed. Once these are in place, companies can simulate campaigns and get an idea of how much exposure they can create by varying the number of seed users, based on the way in which information has previously flowed around their community.
How the real-time nature of the data facilitates rapid responses
Want to keep
University of Southampton online course,
The Power of Social Media
You may be interested in reading our recent paper ‘Assessing the value of social media for organisations: the case for charitable use’ which takes some of the themes introduced in this article and covers them in greater depth. It is available from a link at the bottom of this page.
Can you think of other examples from your own experience of social media communities working on behalf of a specific brand?
The Power of Social Media
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.