Paid Media: Advantages / Disadvantages
- Awareness: due to the low cost and high reach of advertising online, small business is able to build awareness quickly and more cost effectively than some traditional media.
- Complementary: paid media complements your owned and earned media.
- Multi-purpose: Adwords, keyword incorporation and advertisements are all part of the PPC advertising formats that can be applied to your online small business.
- Flexibility: many ad sizes, formats and cost options to suit online businesses of any size
- Frequency: too high a frequency (number of times your audience is exposed to your message) can become a trigger to tune out resulting in the audience disregarding your messages or offering.
- Expense: it can become expensive for smaller businesses and startups to execute due to the time and costs associated with setting the right campaign and managing the campaign to achieve maximum effectiveness.
- Rejection: people can ignore or dismiss your advertising by believing it is not relevant to their needs
- Competition: the display advertising and search advertising space is very cluttered with increasing number of advertisers daily. Both display and search advertising work on a bidding process, with the highest bidder winning and being exposed to the audience. This means that smaller companies often have to be clever to outperform the bidding of companies with large budgets.
ActivityConsider the advantages and disadvantages of paid media listed above. Can you think of any other advantages and disadvantages?Share your thoughts in the Comments section.
Online Business: Digital Marketing for Success
Our purpose is to transform access to education.
We offer a diverse selection of courses from leading universities and cultural institutions from around the world. These are delivered one step at a time, and are accessible on mobile, tablet and desktop, so you can fit learning around your life.
We believe learning should be an enjoyable, social experience, so our courses offer the opportunity to discuss what you’re learning with others as you go, helping you make fresh discoveries and form new ideas.
You can unlock new opportunities with unlimited access to hundreds of online short courses for a year by subscribing to our Unlimited package. Build your knowledge with top universities and organisations.